TRINITY CHURCH. Old Trinity, Its History and Its Rectors. THE NEW CHURCH – THE STEPS TAKEN TO SECURE ITS ERECTION. The Architecture, the Benefactions of Friends and Donors. THE CONSECRATION; THE ORDER OF SERVICES. The Metropolitan and Other Bishops to Take Part in the Ceremonies. The opening of new Trinity Church, which takes place on Thursday, has been the means of awakening renewed interest in the history of the former edifices which, under that name, have been erected in this city for the worship of God. Old Trinity. The old structure, which was destroyed by the great fire of 1877, and which was a familiar object to all the present generation, may be justly regarded as one of the ancient landmarks of the city, and when it perished everyone felt that one of the strongest links that bound us to the past was destroyed. It was the oldest and most remarkable of our church edifices, and to those who value the associations of the past and who cherish the memory of the Loyalist forefathers, it possessed an interest which time may strengthen but can never efface. So long as it stood it was felt that the city could never lack the possession of a monument of its founders, for “Old Trinity” was one which told alike of their piety, their perseverance, and their forethought in building a house for the worship of God, which not only was for their day and generation, but which, after the lapse of four score and six years, was to their children and children’s children an edifice worthy of the times in which we live. Gloomy, save to the most staunch of heart, and uninviting save to those who welcomed the forest land with the most ardent of patriotic zeal, must have been the prospect when on the 18th of May, 1783, THE BAND OF LOYALISTS surveyed the rocks among which they had chosen to cast their lot and found a city. But they were pioneers in spirit as well as in name. They were men who had calmly considered what was before them, and were prepared to act with the energy which their situation demanded. They at once commenced to build habitations, and this being done, they erected a church to the glory of Him who had preserved and brought them safely to the land of their adoption. This, though the first frame building erected by the Loyalists in St. John, was built merely for a temporary accommodation until at a more fitting season a suitable edifice could be erected. This first church was on Germain street, between Duke and Queen streets, on the lot where the house of Mr. James McMillan stood before the fire. As the majority of the Loyalists were adherents of the Church of England, the building was for worship according to that faith, and it received the name of Trinity Church, a name afterwards transferred to the second edifice with which all were familiar. In the division of the city lots, the “Old Burial Ground” has been reserved for church and burial purposes, and the frame for a church, to be built at its southwest corner, had been procured from the lot on which the new Court House now stands; but the fire of 1784 swept over this part of the city and caused the Loyalists to change their plans. The Germain street building, which was never consecrated, was occupied until the erection of Trinity Church in 1791. After that it was occupied by the Methodists and subsequently by the Baptists, until these denominations could build churches of their own. It was finally used as a private dwelling house. THE FIRST SERVICE. Trinity Church was completed in 1791, and the first sermon was preached by the Rev. Mather Byles, D.D., the rector, on Christmas Day of that year. Thus was Trinity Church opened on the anniversary of the birth of Him of the Trinity at whose coming the angels sang of “Peace on earth, good will to men.” On that Christmas morning in 1791 we can fancy the worshippers silently making their way over the snow covered rocks which have since been cut away to make room for the streets of to-day. Luxury or even comfort were little considered then, and those who listened to the preacher’s words sat in the new church warmed only by their wrappings and their zeal. Since then, and before it was finally devoured by the flames, the old church had witnessed EIGHTY SIX RETURNS OF CHRIST’S NATAL DAY. Festal trimmings had adorned the walls and the joyous anthems sounded from the choruses of Christmas singers. The Christmas of those years was a joyous day in old Trinity, but grander was that of Christmas, 1791, when for the first time the congregation of Loyalists met in their new church and there was heard the sound of praise and prayer which was to ring far into the waning decades of the century that was to be. The first edifice on Germain street had a small bell, which was removed in 1791to Trinity, but a larger bell was hung in 1792, while stoves were not placed in the church until 1803 or 1804. In those days it was not customary to heat churches in America, for it was not the era of the cast-iron stoves. “Foot stoves” carried to church were the nearest approach to comfort, and so we find that the Loyalists, from 1783 to 1803, twenty years, endured the cold of our winters and murmured not. There is a lesson to be learned from this by those who are prone to seek excuses for absenting themselves from divine service in these days, when every attention is paid to a congregation’s bodily comfort. Trinity Church was consecrated, in the summer of 1792, by the Rt. Rev. Charles Inglis D.D., the first Bishop of Nova Scotia, and grandfather of Major General Sir John Inglis, whose fame shall endure while the story of the Siege of Lucknow is remembered by the English-speaking people. At the session of the Legislature 1789 Trinity Church appears for the first time on the statute book in the following act: -- Be it enacted by the Lieutenant Governor, Council and Assembly, that the parish of the church commonly called and known by the name of Trinity Church, in the City of St. John, shall be known and be called by the name of the Parish of St. John. And be it further enacted, That the parishioners of the said parish shall, on the first Monday after Easter forever hereafter, yearly and every year assemble and meet together at the said Parish Church, elect and choose two fit persons, belonging to the said Parish, to be Church Wardens for the year ensuing and any number not exceeding twelve belonging to said Parish to be Vestrymen. And be it further enacted, That henceforth no corpse shall be interred within or under the said Church in the City of St. John, or within one hundred yards from the walls of said Church, or within or under the walls of any church already erected or to be erected in this Province. Interments must have taken place in the rear of old Trinity, as at the removal of the debris after the fire, at the chancel end, a portion of a tomb stone was found on which was recorded “Here lyes the body of Wm. Balster, son of William and Hannah Balster, who departed this life the 7th day of October.” This is all on the stone found. The church was over three years building, as it was not opened until Christmas Day, 1791. THE FIRST ELECTION for Wardens and Vestry on record was Easter Monday, 1791, and as none could have taken place earlier than Easter Monday, 1790, the absence of any record favors the idea the election of 1791 was the first, especially as the election provided for in the act of 1789 was to take place in the Parish Church referred to in the act, namely the church in course of erection. EASTER 1791, VESTRY Mather Byles, D.D., Rector. Thomas Horsfield, Fitch Rogers, } Wardens. Hon. Gabriel. G. Ludlow, Thomas Whitlock, Hon. Wm. Hazen, Isaac Lawton, Ward Chipman, Nathan Smith, Colin Campbell, Thomas Bean, Munson Jarvis, Thomas Elmes, Nehemiah Rogers, Samuel Hallot, Colin Campbell, Vestry Clerk. James McPherson, Sexton. At a vestry meeting December 8th, 1791, a little over two weeks before the opening of Trinity Church, it was resolved “That the old church be sold for £200, and that the bell, organ and King’s coat of arms be removed from the old church to Trinity Church.” OBJECTS OF INTEREST. The ground on which the church is built was given for the purpose by General Coffin, Mr. Thomas Whitlock and Mr. Cochran. The builders were Messrs. Bean & Dowling. After the completion of the church it was a building of peculiar form, its breadth being much out of proportion to its length. This showed the great forethought of the builders, as they built for the future as well as their own time, and allowed for the lengthening of the church in after years. Trinity Church, at that time, was more severely plain in its exterior than it became in its latter days, but the internal arrangements were changed very slightly. The arrangement of the pews continued the same as at first, though the backs of those in the centre had been shortened. The side pews remained of the original height. It has been correctly said that almost every portion of the building had a separate history of its own, and among these histories not the least in interest is that of THE ROYAL ARMS ON THE WALL. These arms are a relic of the ante-revolutionary times and originally stood in the old Council Chamber of Boston. They were removed when British troops evacuated that city in March, 1776, and taken to Halifax, from whence they were brought to St. John by the Loyalists and placed first in the old building on Germain street, and afterwards on that wall of Trinity Church where they remained until the great fire. On that memorable day they were saved from destruction by Mr. F. B. Hazen who had them taken to a secure place. During the time they hung in Old Trinity Church the power of which they are the representatives has been wielded by four sovereigns, and in the new edifice where they will be placed they will remind the thoughtful of all the mutations between the reigns of George the Third and Victoria the Good. Among the Loyalists who left Boston at its evacuation, March 17th, 1786, was Edward Winslow, Ward Chipman and George Leonard. Through the war Mr. Winslow held office under the Crown as Muster Master General at New York, with Ward Chipman as Deputy. In the fall of 1784, Ward Chipman at Parr Town was Solicitor General. At evacuation, Mr. Winslow went to Halifax with the army, where he remained until the summer of 1785, when he settled in New Brunswick. The following is of great historic value as relating to the arms: HALIFAX, 16th January, 1785. Give my old Custom House seal to Mr. Leonard, and tell him I’ll forward the famous carved coat of arms by the first conveyance from Halifax. Mr. Leonard, to whom this letter was written, was at this time Comptroller of Customs at Parr Town. Writing again, 25th March, 1785, to Ward Chipman, Mr. Winslow says: In the box with your statuary is a venerable Coat of Arms, which I authorize you to present to the Council Chamber, or any other reputable public rooms, which you shall think best entitled to it. They (Lyon and Unicorn) were constant members of the council at Boston (by mandamus), ran away when others did, have suffered, and of course refugees, and have a claim for residence at New Brunswick. The Council Chamber was the little church referred to by the Vestry in their resolution of Dec. 8TH, 1791. On the 1st of February preceding the last letter of Mr. Winslow, the first meeting of the Supreme Court was held in the same place. As Governor Carleton then resided at Parr Town it was there he attended church. As Ward Chipman was the acting Attorney General at the opening of the Court, and as the Mayor and Common Council, of which body Ward Chipman was Recorder, met there on May 18th of the same year, and as there was no other public room, there was no other place to put up Royal Arms but in the little church. The following from the Rev. Edward F. Slafter, of Boston, a distinguished gentleman in the field of historic research, to J.W. Lawrence., Esq. is of great value; none the less so from being written just four years ago. 11 BEACON STREET, BOSTON, Dec. 9. 1876. MY DEAR SIR, -- I have read your letter reciting the evidence you have collected, relating to the origin of the Royal Arms in Trinity Church, St. John, and I have not the shadow of a doubt that a little more than a hundred years ago, on the 17th of March, 1776, they left their home in the council chamber of the Old Town house in Boston, and sailed out of our harbor with their friends, and soon after entered the friendly port of Halifax. Edward Winslow’s letter to Ward Chipman in 1785, and the fact that the royal arms in question had a place in the temporary chapel, and were afterwards, in 1791, removed to Trinity Church they erected, places the matter beyond any reasonable question. Very truly, J.W. LAWRENCE, ESQ. EDWARD F. SLAFTER. THE OLD ORGAN. The organ of Trinity had been in use for seventy-three years. It was made in London, and was brought to St. John in 1804. It cost a large sum of money, and the freight on it amounted to one hundred guineas, which sum was, however, remitted by Hon. W. M. Pagan, in whose vessel it was imported. It remained to the last a very useful instrument, though the ivory keys were deeply worn by the fingers of the various organists. How often had it cheered the heart with its wedding marches, or thrilled with its dirges when time after time those who heard its first notes have lain in death, while the solemn service for the dead was heard within the walls of Trinity. And how many thousand times had it sounded forth the angelic refrain, the words heard o’er the hills of Judea on the Christmas nearly eighteen hundred years before the Christmas when the first prayer arose from Trinity, “Glory to God in the highest, on earth peace, good will toward men.” THE BELL. The worshippers who attended at the opening of Trinity Church in 1791 were summoned by the sound of a little bell which was placed in a small belfry on the church. This bell was replaced in 1792 by a bell, which served the uses of the church until 1857. It was the gift of Mr. Wm. Thomson, who received therefor a vote of thanks. His daughter, Miss Ann Thomson, was a little girl when Trinity Church was opened, lived to see the last of it and up to the end was one of its most regular attendants both at morning and evening service. She died on the 29th Feb. of this year aged 93. She was the oldest member of Trinity Church. On the same day also died John V. Thurgar, Esq., aged 83, another old member. It was Mr. Thurgar who presented the fine stained glass windows in the chancel of the old church. These were placed in the church in 1859. THE CLOCK. Everybody in St. John remembers the dials of Trinity Church clock, and the tone of its bell striking the hours. The city had no other “Town Clock,” and that of Trinity was the only public time-piece in St. John. It is probable that very many are not aware of the length of time it stood sentinel over the city. In 1810 the tower and cupola were erected by Mr. John Venning, who, however, never saw their completion. The work was nearly finished when, on an afternoon in November, when a slight fall of snow had made the staging slippery, Mr. Venning fell from it to the roof, and from thence to the ground, being instantly killed by the fall. He was 40 years of age, and was a class leader in the Germain Street Methodist Church Sunday School. He was the grandfather of Messrs. Albert and Harry Venning of this city. Two years later, in 1812, the clock was placed in position. It was a good clock. It was made by Barraud, of Cornhill, London, and cost altogether £221.19/, sterling. The city gave £50 and assumed the care of the clock. Mr. Edward Taylor, father of Mr. Thos. Taylor, assisted to put it up and had charge of it until it was taken charge of by Mr. WM. Hutchinson. It was afterwards taken charge of by Mr. George Hutchison, Jr., city timekeeper, and son of the gentleman previously mentioned. It formerly had only three dials, but when the new spire was put on the church, in 1857, a fourth was added. For nearly seventy years, then, this clock numbered the minutes and hours of the people of St. John. It saw the city grow from a small settlement to become the Liverpool of America, and hour after hour, day and night, in all the varying hours of its history, it solemnly tolled forth its warning that time is vanishing and we must render our account of the share allotted to us among men. In the year 1849 a fire raged in the city, by which a large portion of the houses on King street were destroyed. The fire spread towards Old Trinity, and the flames played with menace around the tower which it had cost a human life to build. It was near the hour of midnight, and such a midnight! The flames had not ceased to seek for more, and those men who had vainly sought to oppose their progress on King street, bent anxious eyes on Old Trinity, which, built on a hill, stood out in bold relief in the vivid light of the conflagration. At last the flames seized on the cupola, and for a moment it seemed that the church was doomed. Willing men were found to risk their lives to save it, and chief among these was Pilot Mills, who climbed to the cupola to secure ropes to it, by which it could be brought to the ground. Trinity had a crown of fire, but in the midst of the excitement of the crowd who stood around, the old clock tolled out its twelve measured strokes as though to say, “Twelve o’clock, and all’s well.” All was well. The burning cupola was pulled down, and Trinity Church escaped the greatest peril by which it had ever been threatened, until, in a more awful day, it vanished from sight in the embrace of the all-devouring flames. The church was twice enlarged – once by lengthening, in 1811-12, and again in 1857, when a tower and steeple were built. It had also been renovated in other respects, and modern improvements, such as furnaces, etc., added at different times. In its main characteristics, however, it was still “Old Trinity,” and remarkable as a specimen of architecture of the past, while a source of just pride to the descendants of its builders. THE END OF OLD TRINITY. No detailed account need be given of the end of “Old Trinity,” which shared the fate of a large part of the city of St. John, on the 20th of June, 1877. It was one of the first buildings in that part of the city to take fire, and early in the afternoon it succumbed to the flames. Something must, however, be said about the Rectors of Trinity, those faithful men who labored so long in their Master’s vineyard, and all but two of whom have gone to their reward. THE FIRST RECTOR was the Rev. George Bisset, A. M., a native of England, who, before the revolutionary war, went to Newport, R. I., to act as assistant to the rector of Trinity Church there. Two years later he became rector of the church, and so remained until the evacuation of the island by the British Forces in 1779, when he went to New York. At the close of the war in 1783 he went to England with his wife and boy. He arrived at St. John, 25th July, 1786, and preached the following Sunday in the little church between Duke and Queen street. In the Royal Gazette of August 1st, 1786, was the following: -- Last Sunday morning preached in the church of this city, the Rev. Mr. Bisset lately from England, and in the evening Messrs. Moor and Gibbons of the people commonly called Quakers, the former from New Jersey and the later from Pennsylvania. The whole gave great satisfaction to crowded audiences. Mr. Bisset, in a letter dated July 4th, 1787, to the S. P. G. Society, wrote “He hoped before long to receive from Gov. Carleton, the sum of £500 allotted to St. John Parish, out of the Imperial grant of £2,000 stg., for the erection of churches in N. B.” Mr. Bisset did not live to see Trinity completed, for on March 3rd, 1788, he died and was buried in the churchyard on Germain street, but his body was subsequently removed to the Putman tomb, in the old burial ground, where it still remains. Mr. Bisset was a man of high scholastic attainments, vigilant and faithful, an excellent writer, but somewhat diffident in his manner, both in private company and in the pulpit. THE SECOND RECTOR was the Rev. Mather Byles, D.D., a Harvard graduate of the class of 1751. For fifteen years he was minister of a Congregational Church at New London, but leaving that body he joined the Episcopal Church, and became Rector of Christ’s Church, Boston. The year 1776 was a memorable one in the history of that New England town; the fortune of war, and the abandonment of Boston by the British troops, rendered it necessary for him to remove, and he went to Halifax, where he became Garrison Chaplain. On the death of Rev. Mr. Bisset he became Rector of St. John, and was the first clergyman who ever preached in Trinity Church. This memorable occasion was on Christmas day, 1791. Dr. Byles became infirm during the later years of his rectorship, and required an assistant. He died in March, 1814, in the 80th year of his age, having been Rector of St. John for 26 years. Dr. Byles was a man of very genial nature and many humorous anecdotes of his sayings and doings have been published. THE THIRD RECTOR was the Rev. George Pidgeon, a graduate of Trinity College, Dublin, who was born in Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1761. He became an ensign in the Rifles, and served for some time in America during the war, after which he went to Halifax and took orders in the church. He became Rector of Fredericton and Ecclesiastical Commissary for the Province in 1795, and in 1814, on the death of Dr. Byles, was chosen Rector of St. John. His health, however, shortly afterwards failed; he had no assistance and the church had to be closed. On the 6th of May, 1818, he died, and was interred in the Old Burial Ground, where his monument is still to be seen. He was a man of pious and benevolent character, amiable manners, and greatly regretted by his parishioners, who enjoyed his ministrations only four years, during much of which ill health confined him to his house. THE FOURTH RECTOR was the Rev. Robert Willis, D.D., a man whose great age made him, in his latter years, a sort of connecting link between the past and the present. Dr. Willis was a Chaplain in the Royal Navy, and his ship being at Halifax at the time Trinity Church was closed on account of Mr. Pidgeon’s ill health, he came to St. John, where he officiated for several weeks, and, Mr. Pidgeon suddenly dying, was chosen Rector and Ecclesiastical Commissary. It was during his time that the Stone Church and St. George’s, Carleton, were built, and the Parish of St. John divided. In 1825 Dr. Willis became Rector of St. Paul’s Halifax, and Archdeacon of Nova Scotia, which offices he filled until his death, in 1865, at the advanced age of 80 years. The Rev. Cuthbert Willis, formerly of the 15th Regiment, and now Rector of Salisbury, is his son. THE FIFTH RECTOR was the Rev. Benjamin Gerrish Gray, D.D., who was born in Boston in 1768, and when a mere child went to Halifax with his father on its evacuation by the British troops. He graduated at King’s College, Windsor, finished his education in England, and was ordained by Bishop Inglis, at Halifax, in 1796. For some time he was a missionary among the Maroons, those heroic cutthroats which the British Government had imported to Nova Scotia, to the great annoyance of its peaceful inhabitants and of successive Provincial Governors, who were driven to their wits’ end to keep them quiet, and wasted reams of paper in corresponding with the home authorities on the subject. If five or six thousand vigorous Zulus were brought to New Brunswick to-day our people would be able to form some idea of what the Maroons were like. Dr. Gray afterwards filled various missions in Nova Scotia, and in 1819 became rector of St. George’s, Halifax. In 1825 he succeeded Dr. Willis as rector of St. John, and retained that position until 1840, when he resigned it, and died in 1854 at the advanced age of 86. Dr. Gray was a man of much artistic taste and was found of scientific pursuits. His charitable disposition and kindness of heart are still remembered, and it is no hyperbole to state, as is recorded on the tablet to his memory, that he was a “father to the poor.” In 1833, a great misfortune befell him, for which no sympathy could make amends. His house on Wellington Row was burned to the ground, and with it his wife, who, with a female domestic, in some way got bewildered and were unable to get out of the house with him. His fine library and the records of the parish were destroyed at the same time. And again in 1860, his health being on the latter occasion in a critical state. For some years before his death, he had an assistant, the work of the parish having become very laborious and his own health being bad. As a preacher Dr. Gray was so excellent that his successor must for a long time labor under the disadvantage of being required to please the high standard of taste which his ministrations created. His sentences were well rounded, his voice clear, his delivery forcible, but never ungracefully so, and his pronunciation of every word and syllable perfect. He was generally regarded as the best reader in the Province, and it may be long before a man is found in New Brunswick whose accomplishments as a pulpit orator are equal to those of Dr. Gray. In polemics he also took a high position. He was the author of numerous pamphlets on controversial subjects, some of which were very able, and all of which were written in a superior style. His pamphlets on the Catholic question and the Colenso controversy will be fresh in the minds of most of our readers. It is a subject of regret that he never placed his thoughts in a more permanent form or published a book on some of the theological questions of which he was so able an exponent. THE SIXTH RECTOR was the Rev. John Wm. D. Gray, D. D., the son of the former rector. He was born at Halifax in 1798, and, like his father, graduated at King’s College, Windsor. He took orders and became Rector of Amherst, and in 1825, when Dr. Willis vacated the Rectorship of St. John, an effort was made to have him appointed to that important charge. This, however, was not done at the time, but he became his father’s assistant, and on his retirement, in 1840, was appointed Rector of St. John in his stead. For nearly thirty years from this time he led a laborious and active life in his parish, constant in the discharge of his duties and zealous in the charge of his church. In the early part of 1868 he died, at the age of 70 years, during 47 of which he was in the ministry. The death of this amiable and learned clergyman is so recent, and his career is so well known to most of his parishioners, that it is almost superfluous to dwell at length upon it. It was during his rectorship, in 1845, that Nova Scotia ceased to have ecclesiastical jurisdiction over this Province, and the present Bishop was consecrated to the See of Fredericton. His first sermon after his arrival was preached in Trinity Church. In 1846 Dr. Gray visited England in the interests of King’s College, Windsor. In the graveyard of St. John’s Church three miles from Halifax, where Dr. Gray is buried, is a tombstone with the following inscription: -- REV’d J. W. D Gray, D. D., Rector of St. John, N. B, Born 23rd July, 1797, died 1st Feb., 1868. He is not dead whose glorious mind Lifts ours on high. To live in hearts we leave behind Is not to die. THE SEVENTH RECTOR was the Rev. James J. Hill, M. A., whose ministrations in Trinity were brought to a close, owing to failing health, which necessitated a removal to a warmer climate. Mr. Hill is a native of Nova Scotia, and until his appointment to the Rectorship of St. John, after the death of Dr. Gray, resided and officiated in that Province. As a clergyman he was much liked, and his discourses were very acceptable at all times. His pleasant manners and affability won him the good wishes of all sections of the community, not only in his own church, but among members of other communions. The cordial address and the very handsome presents he received from the congregation of Trinity Church on his departure showed how pleasant the relations were which subsisted between them. Mr. Hill, after spending some time in the South, removed to the Province of Ontario, and is now the Principal of Hellmuth College. THE EIGHTH RECTOR. The Rev. F. H. J. Brigstocke, the present rector, was unanimously nominated to the rectorship of St. John parish, at a meeting held on the 21st of July, 1873. He is a graduate of Jesus College, Oxford, and has been in orders 12 years. For five years he was curate to the present Dean of Canterbury. Mr. Brigstocke entered upon his duties in October, 1873, and since he has been rector has gained many warm friends and ardent admirers. Tablets to the memory of Rev. Benjamin G. Gray, D.D., Rev. J. W. D. Gray, D.D., and to Miss Sarah DeBlois, were erected in the old church. The latter lady was superintendent of the Sunday school for more than 40 years, and died in the 78th year of her age. The tablet was erected by the teachers and scholars. New Trinity. On the Sunday after the destruction of the old edifice in the great fire, the members of Trinity worshipped in St. Paul’s Church. When the Madras school was finished it was secured for the services, and presently the congregation began to move IN THE MATTER OF A NEW CHURCH. The plans of old Trinity were secured but did not prove satisfactory to the committee and new plans were asked for. Those obtained were the result of a competition which was among local and other architects, ten in all. The vestry accepted the plan of Mr. W. T. Thomas, of Montreal, in July, 1878, which provided for a Gothic church, and the contract was signed for the erection of the building, in November of the same year, with James. G. McDonald & Co. They agreed to perform all work except putting in glass, lights and heating apparatus for $66,000. Prior to this arrangement the committee let the contract for excavating, including drains and in April, 1879, work was begun on the school house, though the firm whose tender had been accepted was busily engaged during the winter in getting out and preparing stone. Shortly after the school house was commenced the contractors followed with the church and on the 29th of May THE CORNER STONE OF THE EDIFICE was laid. There were present the Trinity school children, Vestry of Trinity and other Episcopal Churches, Mayor and City Council, Rector of Trinity and other clergy, including Rev. Messrs. Canon DeVeber, Canon Walker, Canon Partridge, Dr. Jarvis, H. M. Spike, Theodore E. Dowling, D. W. Pickett, Campbell, S. Alexander, Warneford, Gardner, Sterling, Stevens, Simms, Matthews, Woodman, Sill, Love, Wilkinson, Hanford and Greer. After the usual ceremony, in which the rector and the vestry took part, prayer was offered and the corner stone laid by the Lord Bishop of Fredericton, Metropolitan of Canada. The Following were the contents of the box placed in the corner stone: -- History of Trinity Church, signed by the members of the congregation, together with the names of the members of the choir. Hannay’s History of Acadia. St. John Directory. Barnes’ Almanac. Eleven stereoscopic views of buildings in St. John. Sermon of Rev. J. Hill, preached on May 18th, 1873. Photograph of Dr. Gray. Colored lithograph of the fire, taken from the suspension bridge. Weekly Telegraph, June 29, 1877, and June 22 – first issue after the fire. Daily Telegraph, June 22, 23, 25 (with plan of burnt district), 27, 30, and July 6, 1877. Daily News, June 29 and July 6, 1877. The latter was the first full-sized issue after the fire. St. John Globe, June 23 and 25, 1877, and June 19, 1878, the latter having an article on the year’s work. New York Herald, June 22nd, 1877, with the plan of burnt district. Daily Telegraph, May 19, 1879. Daily Sun, May 19, 1879. Daily News, May 19, 1879. St. John Globe, May 17, 1879. Unsigned bank of New Brunswick notes $20, No. 15,002; $5, No. 1,101. Coins (silver) of the Dominion; an old coin presented by Mr. Corr, which was recovered by a diver near the coast of Halifax. Photograph of the Metropolitan of Canada. Photograph of the Rector of Trinity Church. A list of St. John City Government as follows: -- Mayor – Chas. R. Ray. Recorder – W. H. Tuck. Common Clerk – B. Lester Peters. Chamberlain – Wm. Sandall. Aldermen – Kings Ward, James Domville. Queen’s Ward, Simeon Jones. Duke’s Ward, John Magee. Sydney Ward, Henry Duffell. Albert Ward, Jarvis Wilson. Prince Ward, Chas N. Skinner. Wellington Ward, Wm Peters. Brooks Ward, H. Adam Glasgow. Guy’s Ward, Samuel L. Brittain. Councillors – Kings Ward, Wm Rainnie. Queen’s Ward, Harris Allan. Duke’s Ward, J. R. Macfarlane. Sydney Ward, B. Coxetter. Albert Ward, Chas. Emmerson. Prince Ward, J. H. Allen. Wellington Ward, T. B. Hanington. Brooks Ward, J. Alfred Ring. Guy’s Ward, Andrew Buist. Trinity Church accounts 1871, ’73, ’74, ’75, ’76, ’77. ’78, ’79. City accounts, 1877. Municipal accounts, 1878. The Metropolitan made a short address, a hymn was sung, prayer offered, and the pronouncing of the benediction concluded the ceremony. THE MEANS FOR ERECTING THE NEW CHURCH. This subject was referred to by Canon Brigstock, in his annual report previous to the laying of the corner-stone, as follows: The cost of the buildings has necessarily been the subject of much consideration, as well as the best way for raising the necessary amount. It was felt that the buildings which were to replace those which for many reasons were held in high estimation must necessarily be not only of a substantial character and large proportions, but of as much beauty of design as could possibly be attained. It was not easy to see how this could be done, without a larger outlay than the vestry felt warranted in incurring. I trust that the decision which has been made in the matter will prove to be a wise one, and that it will meet with your hearty approval. From the annual statement of last year you will remember that the amount collected from insurance was $28,000, and from the statement of this year you will see that a munificent legacy of $11,000 has been made to the parish by the late Charles Merritt, Esquire, one of the most respected members of the congregation. These sums, together with a bond for $4,000, of the Corporation of St. John’s Church, and a bond and mortgage for $2,800, of A.C. Fairweather, Esq., are the only available funds at present in the hands of the Vestry, for paying the cost of the buildings; by which it will be seen that a further sum of $9,385 is needed to meet the amount of the contract which has been entered into. I trust, however, that not only that sum, but much more than is required to meet necessary expenditure may be raised by voluntary subscriptions. * * * * I am glad to say that some donations towards the Church have already been made. The first received was of special interest, being sent by the Indian boys in the Shingwauk Home, Algoma. It was $8.15, being the amount of their collections during Lent of last year, and was forwarded -- as the letter accompanying it informed me – by the unanimous vote of the boys, in token of their gratitude for the help which had been given them. A gentleman in London (England) makes, through His Lordship the Bishop, the munificent donation of stained glass for the east window, and the descendants of the late Col. Murray have most generously undertaken to put stained glass in the west window. Miss. Hazen and Mrs. Ritchie have most kindly offered to furnish the font. These gifts, we shall, I am sure, most heartily appreciate, and greatly value as aiding us to beautify the place of God’s sanctuary. The new Church and Sunday School cost about $70,000. The money was obtained from the insurance on the former buildings, the legacy of Mr. Merritt already referred to, subscriptions among the congregation to the amount of some $10,000, and $20,000 which was raised on church bonds. As the parish owns a large amount of property of a productive character, the financial position of Trinity Church is very satisfactory. THE CHURCH PROPER covers exactly the same ground as the old edifice and will front on Germain street, 100 feet from the eastern sidewalk, and at considerable elevation, the slope being in terraces. As first drawn the plan intended that the church should cover the exact spot on which it formerly rested, without reference to the porch, and as the building of the latter would interfere with the drive that comes up from the street, it necessitated an allowance for the porch. The length is 172 feet, with a width of 62 feet, these being the inside measurements. The nave is 34 feet clear width, the height 56 feet from floor to ceiling and 64 feet to the ridge of the roof, the ceiling running through without break to the end of the church. THE FRONT ELEVATION is handsome. This portion of the church is of rock-faced grey limestone, with dressing and ornamental portions of cut freestone. The west gable of the church on the ground level has a spacious narvex or entrance porch with deeply recessed doorway having four granite columns on each side deeply panelled and arched over. It is 20 x 23 feet, the whole surmounted by a pediment having perforated and carved work, a stone cross topping all. The interior walls of the porch are finished in gray limestone, with cut granite base, and ceiled over with wood, the ceiling being divided into panels with deeply molded ribs and molded cornice at the walls, the whole of the natural wood varnished. Massive doors, 9 feet wide, form the entrance, and are framed in wood with ornamental iron hinges. In the gable over the door, which terminates in a highly ornamental cross, is the Agnus Dei, and in the side panels are passion flowers. On either side of the door is a single window set in between buttresses that run to the top of the porch and are tipped with freestone pinnacles. THE TOWER AND SPIRE. The principal decoration of the exterior, west front, is in a tower and spire, which are located on the south corner. The base is 22 feet square, with angled buttresses and pierced by ornamental windows on two stages, and belfry, the latter being designed to hold a chime of bells. The windows are double, with slabs of stone overhanging each other to permit a current of air to pass in and out, and likewise allow the sound to be heard more distinctly. Additional strength is gained to this belfry by a buttress in each corner. Above the windows is an ornamental cornice of frieze work, and next comes the clock tower. On either side of the clock are pinnacles, having an ornamented pediment with cornices and crocket, the whole surmounted with a plain stone cross. The total height of the tower and steeple to the top of the vane is 210 feet, of the tower 90 feet. The spire is octagon in shape and of wood covered with copper and terminates in a vane. The base of the spire is richly ornamented with large angle molded pinnacles 22 feet high, while the internal pinnacles at the face of the spire are 15 feet, with molded clock faces and buttresses and gabled over, all being formed and moulded in copper. The spire is strongly formed and braced and anchored down in the stone to a depth of 30 feet below the top of the masonry. A side door leads into the base of the tower, and entrance can also be gained from the right of the vestibule. From here one can enter the church, or by ascending a flight of winding stairs gain the belfry. Over the porch, filling the western end, is a triple lancet window deeply recessed and molded in stone, the remainder of the gable being diapered in stone, terminating at the apex with an ornamental open stone cross. At the angles of this gable are large octagon stone pinnacles in which are placed flues. On the north side of the west gable, being the opposite corner from the tower, there is a sort of wing, which has an extreme height of 30 feet, with sloping roof, the same as in the porch, and contains one of the aisles. It will have a double window finished in every respect similar to those in the vestibule. The finish is in double molded buttresses and stone pinnacle, filled in with a two-light stone traceried window, the jams and the arch being deeply moulded in stone. A GRANITE BASE extends around the building, and the entrance steps are of solid blocks of granite. The roof is covered with slate, and is provided with iron eaves and cornice. The windows of the church are by far not the least attractive feature in the new building, and have been much admired for the way the makers have contrived to blend and harmonize the different colors without losing any of the details of each or any figure or subject. Although all the windows are not yet inserted, there are enough to judge of the character of the work, and we give a detailed description of all the lights, which will be put in as soon as they arrive from England, there being six small windows and the large east window already in position. All the glass, with the exception of one window, has been manufactured by Messrs. Clayton & Bell, of London, who appear to have given perfect satisfaction in the work entrusted to them. THE EAST WINDOW is the most striking of the handsome ones already in the church, and is the gift of Lewis Bliss, Esq., now of London, but formerly a member of Old Trinity, who has not forgotten his Loyalist parents, nor the church where he worshipped as a young man. The window, completed, cost upward of eight hundred pounds stg., a most munificent gift. The subject of the window is scenes in the life of our blessed Lord; the different designs are separated by heavy stone mullions, and the tracery at the top also contains lights, with emblems. The first scene represented is in the north part of the left side of the centre light, from there goes to the right and upwards to the top, reading the same on the other side. In this the Annunciation has been beautifully shown, representing an angel appearing to the Virgin Mary, with the text above: “Behold, a virgin shall conceive.” Next is the Nativity, and in it appears the Holy Infant in a cradle with the mean fittings of a stable clearly shown, including the beasts in the stalls, and the sentence above: “And thou, Bethlehem,” etc. The third scene is the Adoration of the Magi, representing the Virgin holding the infant to the view of the wise men. Over these last two scenes are figures of the prophets who foretold the events, namely, Zachariah and Micah, and over the last figure of St. Mark. The fourth scene shows the flight into Egypt with the virgin and child on an ass as the central figures, and Joseph to the right, while above is a figure of the Prophet Hosea, and the sentence, “Out of Egypt I have called my son.” Then comes a representation of our Lord among the doctors in the Temple, with a figure of the prophet Habbakuk above, and the words, “The Lord whom ye seek shall suddenly come into his Holy Temple.” The sixth scene shows our Lord in Nazareth, with a figure of St. Luke above it; while the seventh, which is the lowest central figure, shows the baptism of our Lord, with the sentence, “Thou art my beloved son.” The coloring and work in this have been very finely executed, and every detail is shown with great distinctness. Our Lord is standing just on the edge of the water, while St. John is sprinkling him, the whole being a beautiful and artistic piece of coloring. The next scene is the Last Supper, with the figure of St. Matthew above it, in which many figures are shown with great clearness. The agony in Gethsemane comes next, as the scene displayed, and above the figure of Jeremiah, and the sentence, “Behold! and see if any sorrow is like unto my sorrow.” The next scene shows our Lord before Pilate and above the figure of David, with the sentence, “The Kings of the earth stand up and the rulers take counsel together.” The eleventh subject is a well brought out representation of the Crucifixion and shows our Blessed Lord hanging on the Cross, on which are the letters I. N. R. I., and above this a figure of St. John. The Burial is the next subject taken up and depicts that sad event in a masterly manner. Above this is a figure of Isaiah and the sentence, “Thou shalt mourn for me as one that mourneth for an only son.” The Resurrection is next and last of the scenes of our Lord’s life and has above it a figure of Moses and the sentence, “The Lord is king for ever.” The top light in the centre portion shows our Lord in Glory, standing with one hand uplifted, surrounded by a halo and underneath this a dove, being emblematical of the Holy Spirit, with the Latin words “Hic filius meus” on a scroll. The tracery at the top of the window shows emblems of the Trinity and cherubims finely brought out and the words “Te invocamus,” “Te Adoramus,” “O beata Trinitas” and the letters “I. H. S.” Above this is the coat of arms of the giver and the motto of the family “Vintas Sola Felicitas.” The whole effect of this window is very beautiful and in size it is one of, if not the largest, church windows in the Dominion. The inscription on the lower right side of the window reads thus: -- To the honor and glory of God and in thankful acknowledgement of many mercies received throughout a life of 87 years and also in loving memory of his father the Honorable Jonathan Bliss, late Chief Justice and President of the Executive and Legislative Councils of the Province of New Brunswick, and of his mother Mary Bliss, and of his three brothers, John Worthington, William Blowers, and Henry, this window is dedicated by Lewis Bliss. A. D. 1880. THE WEST WINDOW will be composed of three lights and will also be a costly and artistic piece of workmanship; the subject chosen is the Transfiguration which will occupy the whole window, the north light being given by Mrs. Chas. Hazen, of Musquash, in memory of her late husband; the centre one by Miss Murray, in memory of her parents, and that on the south side by Dr. Botsford. There is no tracery in this window it being a simple triple light. To the north of this and at the end of the north aisle a double window is to be placed by Geo. C. Wiggins, Esq., now of Windsor, in memory of his mother, and will represent the Draught of Fishes and the feeding of the five thousand, two miracles connected with the call and ministry of the apostles. A WINDOW IN MEMORY OF REV. MR. GRAY. At the other end of this aisle is a small window looking to the eastward in which is to be placed a memorial to the late Rev. Dr. J. W. D. Gray, for a number of years rector of Trinity. This is to be the gift of a few of his friends. In the north transept and over the baptistry is A TRIPLE LIGHT WINDOW, which will show the following representation: The centre light will be a figure of the good Samaritan and is to the memory of the late Geo. Swinney, Esq.; to the right of this will appear our Lord as the Good Shepherd and to the left a representation of Christ blessing little children, the two last the gift of John Sears, Esq., one of the church wardens; this window is being made by Mr. Spence of Montreal. THE AISLE WINDOWS are twelve in number, and all are memorial, each bearing a figure of one of the apostles. Beginning in the west end of the north aisle the first one noticed is that given by the Sunday School children, a figure of St. Peter holding a key and the inscription: -- Erected to the Glory of God by Trinity Church Sunday School, A. D., 1880. Feed my lambs. The next is St. Andrew leaning on his cross, being the gift of Mrs. Charles Merritt, in memory of her late husband, and bears the following inscription: -- In memory of C.M., Feb. 27, A. D., 1878. Dr. Bayard gives the next window in memory of his deceased wife, the figure being that of St. James Major, with the staff and scrip, with the inscription: -- Erected by Wm. Bayard in memory of Susan Maria, his wife, who died Dec. 9. 1876. The next is a figure of St. John, and is very well represented, the colors chosen being very beautiful, and is the gift of Mrs. Boyd, who now resides in England; the following is seen below the figure: -- To the glory of the Triune God, and in memory of John Boyd, M. D., born 1st July, 1792, died 27th Aug., 1857. Mrs. Thurgar will place the next window as a memorial to her late husband, John V. Thurgar, Esq., who was for a number of years a constant attendant at old Trinity. This will bear a figure of St. Philip, while the next and last window on this side will be a figure of St. Bartholomew, a gift of Mrs. Parker, in memory of her husband the late Chief Justice Parker. Passing to the south aisle, the first window at the last end is that given by the Misses Tisdale, and is a figure of St. Matthew holding the treasury box, while underneath is the inscription: -- In memory of Walker and Eleanor Tisdale, Loyalists, A. D. 1783; also of their children, Charles William and Thomas E. Gilbert Tisdale. St. Thomas is seen in the next window, holding in his hand a square, given by Mrs. W. C. Perley, according to the wish of her late husband, and bears the following inscription: -- Erected to the memory of Moses H. and Jane Perley, in accordance with the desire of their son, the late Mr. W. Colebrooke Perley, A. D. 1880. The ninth window is to be the gift of Mr. W. L. Prince, and will contain a figure of St. James the less; while the next is to be a memorial to the late Mr. James Seeds and his wife by their children, and will be a representation of St. Simon. In the next space will be seen a figure of St. Jude, to the memory of the late Beverly Robinson, the gift of his relatives. Mr. George Hale gives the next window, which will be a figure of St. Matthias. And the next and last on this aisle is in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Merritt, the gift of their children. The remainder of the windows will, it is expected, be all in position by next Easter Day, and will add considerably to the effect of the church. THE CHURCH IS ENTERED by the north transept from a corridor or closed cloister extending from the yard facing on Charlotte street. This corridor is enclosed and roofed over, the walls being lined with faced brick and pierced by stained glass windows. The ceiling is lined with narrow boards stained and varnished, and there is likewise a side door by which one can step out into the carriage drive. The aisles north and south have a width of 12 feet and are 83 feet long and covered with linoleum. THE NAVE is separated from these aisles by an arcade of stone molded arches, seven on each side, the stone being elaborately cut, the arches resting on capitals richly carved. There is a space of about 13 feet between each. Above the arches is a clerestory 12 feet high filled in with two double lancet windows which give the principal light to the church. The nave and aisles are roofed over with wood having richly ornamented exposed principals resting on carved corbels in the clerestory walls, and with molded cornices between. The flat portions are divided into panels with deeply molded ribs and filled in with narrow boards. The six principals on each side are richly molded and supported on carved stone corbels in wood similar to the paneling and cornice to the nave roof. The roof is finished in natural wood varnished. THE CHOIR AND CHANCEL are separated from the nave by panelled oak screens and raised from the floor of the nave steps. The choir floor has a carpet of crimson and black Brussels of an ecclesiastical pattern, furnished by Mr. Jas. H. Hegan. In the choir are six ornamental seats, and two desks for the clergy – an equal number on each side. A walnut molded altar rail separates the choir from the sanctuary. The north and south transepts are on each side of the choir (which opens into them) and have molded arches. In the north transept is the font and in the south the organ. This instrument will not be placed in positon for some time, until the moisture is thoroughly out of the building. A carved panelled back sedilia of three seats is to be placed inside the altar rail, and opposite it a chair of corresponding design. These were manufactured by Mr. Joseph W. Lawrence. This is the gift of Rev. Canon Scovil. The choir and chancel are marked in the roof by double principals, these being more highly enriched than other portions of the nave proper. The roof corbels in the choir are sculptured with emblems of the four Evangelists: An angel for St. Matthew; a lion for St. Mark; a bull for St. Luke; and an eagle for St. John. The plain surfaces on the walls are plastered and tinted. SEATING CAPACITY. The church has seating capacity for 800 persons, exclusive of the choir. There are 100 pews in the nave, 26 in the south, and 24 in the north aisles, besides pews in the north transept near the front. The pews are in black ash framing, with walnut molded capping, the seats of which are framed in ash rounded, and molded suitable for sitting upon, so that the usual cushion may be dispensed with. Hassocks will be furnished each pew, besides racks just above the floor and beneath the seats. THE VESTRY – LIGHTING, HEATING AND VENTILATION. Leading from the south transept is a door which opens into a vestry 12x17 feet, fitted up with wardrobes, safe, marble mantel, tapestry carpet and other conveniences. Light will be furnished in the evening by 15 standards, each containing 15 burners (11 in the nave and 4 in the choir chamber,) and side brackets at the walls of 3 lights each. The standards are about seven feet in height. There are cellars for fuel and furnaces beneath the body of the church that have been cut out of solid rock. The heating is by hot air furnaces. The church is thoroughly ventilated by means of ventilators in the roof which can be worked by a cord. The carpets, as well as linoleum for aisles and passages, and the hassocks for pews were made especially and imported by Mr. Jas. W. Hegan, King street. The men connected with his establishment also put down the carpets and linoleum upon the floors. THE PULPIT. The pulpit, which is made entirely of Ohio freestone, is the gift of H. Laurance Sturdee, Esq., as a memorial to his father, the late Henry P. Sturdee, Esq., who was a regular attendant at Trinity for nearly forty years. Ohio stone has been used for the whole pulpit, the trimmings being Caen stone, St. George red granite and brown stone. It has been made hexagonal on a base and pedestal of the same form, and is very handsome in all its details, being one of the most noticeable of the interior fittings of the church. From the base rise six columns of brown stone carved with Caen stone capitals, from which a gradual increase of size takes place until the base of the pulpit proper is reached, on which are six small columns of polished red granite, with Caen stone bases, and beautifully carved floral capitals also in Caen stone, while above the columns at each of the six corners are Caen stone carvings, four representing bunches of wheat, passion flowers, lilies, etc., and the two which are in front being cherubims, each holding a closed book. These have been very carefully and finely done, and the faces have been brought out with great clearness; the spaces between the columns have been cut into panels of ecclesiastical patterns and appropriate emblems carved therein. The first one beginning from the left bears a double trefoil and squares within a quartrefoil, the next one having the “Alpha” and “Omega” interlaced within the same device; on the front panel is a cross with a scroll on which is the sentence “Be ye doers of the word not hearers only.” The next panel has a double triangle emblematical of the Trinity with a quartrefoil and the next one a Maltese cross and device. Round the top of the pulpit some handsome carving has been done representing a grape vine with great distinctness. The foundation stone bears the following inscription: “To the glory of God and in memory of Henry Parker Sturdee, who died Aug. 13th, A. D., 1880, aged 72 years,” the lettering raised and of ecclesiastical pattern. The height of the top of the pulpit is about seven feet from the floor and has all been cut from solid blocks of stone, the work having been done by Mr. Joseph Holmes, now of Boston, and reflects great credit on his skills as a carver. The pulpit is entered from the rear through the choir stalls, a handsome brass handrail having been placed at that part of it. In the interior fittings black ash has been used. The book rest, which is a sliding one, of black walnut, will be found most convenient. A handsome frontal will hang from the top and will make a fine finish to an artistic piece of workmanship. THE FONT, situated at the inside of the entrance from the cloister, is the gift of Mrs. W. Pollock Ritchie and Miss Elizabeth Hazen. It rests on a dais of ash, a foot high, with brass railing partly around, space being afforded to step upon the platform. The font is octagonal, nearly five feet high. The base is of free stone and bears the following inscription: -- To the glory of God and in memory of Robert Fraser Hazen and Johanna his wife. Resting on top is the pedestal, of spar, with four miniature columns, equal in distance from each other, in Devonshire marble, which is mottled, and, as it admits of a high polish, presents a handsome appearance. The bowl is about 2 feet high and each of the octagon faces bears a figure or initials. The first is the Greek C. H. R.; then is the eagle, an emblem of St. John; followed by the initials I. H. S.; an angel emblematic of St. Matthew; then a Maltese cross; a lion the emblem of St. Mark; then the Alpha and Omega; and a bull the emblem of St. Luke. Between the octagons are miniature pilasters, of Devonshire marble, having carved capitals and bases. Running around the rim of the font is the inscription: -- I believe in one Baptism for the remission of Sins. The cover is of ash with ornamental iron work on top, surmounted by a golden cross. THE LECTERN is also a gift to the church. A short time after the death of Mr. W. C. Perley, last year, Mrs. Perley presented to the Church a new lectern, or reading desk, as a memorial to her late husband. The design was chosen by Mrs. Perley and the Rev. Canon Brigstocke. The lectern arrived here from London, England, a few weeks ago. It is made entirely of brass, highly finished; the height being about seven feet and the base two feet. The design is elegant and it is one of the principal objects in the artistic decorations of the new church, as it stands directly in front of the congregation. It has already been the subject of much favorable comment by the few who have seen it. The base, which is handsomely molded in a plain but neat design, rests on four lions. On the front side is the inscription: -- In memory of An Affectionate Husband, W. COLEBROOKE PERLEY, A. D. 1880. The side facing the audience represents a handsome eagle, with spreading wings. This furnishes the desk on which rests the Holy Bible. The eagle is supported by an elaborate pedestal held up by four elegant scrolls, the bottoms of which are panelled. On each of these panels, in bold relief, are heads of the four evangelists – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John – each panel having two heads representing the same evangelist. The workmanship is of the very finest. This lectern is an entirely new departure in the church decoration in New Brunswick, and, in fact, something that is but rarely met with on this side of the Atlantic. Mrs. Perley also gives an elegant Bible to be used with the lectern. THE CARPET – KNEELING MATS, ETC. The carpet in that portion of the chancel inside the altar-railing, has all been worked by the ladies of the congregation, and is composed of about 65 square yards of the finest and most beautiful needlework. The materials of which this carpet has been made were purchased by funds, amounting to $275, collected by the ladies; the wools and canvas having been imported from Germany. The pattern of the carpet is thoroughly ecclesiastical in design and is as follows: The ground is crimson on which are traced trefoils of a darker shade, and fleur de lis of gold colored wools; the bordering is a handsome combination of the above colors with blue in addition. The following are those who undertook the arduous task of the above work which was commenced eight months ago and completed just in time for use at the opening of the church: Mrs. Brigstocke, Mrs. C. W. Weldon, Mrs. E. Allison, Mrs. W. C. Perley, Mrs. W. F. Harrison, Mrs. Tucker, Mrs. and Miss F. Disbow, the Misses Seeds, Cassidy, Hazen, Sturdee, Bayard, Mrs. Gregg, Mrs. C. H. Masters, Mrs. Fowler, Mrs. and Miss Coy, Mrs. M. Robinson, Mrs. J. R. Smith, Mrs. C. Campbell, Mrs. A. H. Hanington, Mrs. H. Peters, Mrs. G. Coster, Mrs. Hoyt, Mrs. Crosby, Miss Partelow, Miss Livingstone, Miss French, Miss Wheeler, Mrs. Maclauchlan, Miss Murray, Miss Leavitt, Mrs. Botsford. In addition to the above, some other ladies undertook the following work, which has all been most exquisitely don , and is worthy of especial mention: A handsome kneeling cushion in front of the altar rails, extending the whole width of the chancel, has been worked by Mrs. Cornwall, Mrs. Snider, and Miss Price, the pattern of which is passion flowers of white and pale gray on a blue and crimson ground. This cushion contains upwards of eleven yards of work, being half a yard wide. It may be interesting to mention that it contains over one hundred thousand stiches. For the face of the step on which the Holy Table stands Mrs. A. Chamberlain has worked the text: “They that wait on the Lord renew their strength,” in Berlin work in colors to correspond with the carpet. Kneeling mats for use inside the railing have also been worked as follows: for the front of the table a large mat, the work and gift of Mrs. Brigstocke, the design being a bunch of white lilies on appropriate ground-work; those at either end of the table have been made and presented to the church by Mrs. H. L. Sturdee, and others by Mrs. W. C. Perley and Mrs. Charles Merritt, in the same design as the kneeling-cushion, for use in other parts of the chancel. The holy table stands on a raised step on which has been laid wooden tiles, of ash and black walnut, each representing alternately a Maltese cross and fleur de lis, with a plain walnut border. These tiles are the gift of the rector, Rev. Canon Brigstocke. THE ROYAL ARMS. The Royal Arms since the fire have been hung on the walls of the Madras School Building, and from thence taken to the present School House. They will now be mounted on a walnut shield and placed just below the west window and over the main door of the new church, where it is hoped they will long remain as a memento of the times and troubles of the last century, and also noteworthy as being the only article now in this church which was in the old structure. The School Room. Fifty feet from the chancel end of the church is the school room, which fronts on Charlotte street, and is connected with the transept of the church by the corridor previously referred to. The school house is 48 by 84 feet, is two stories above the basement, and 14 feet from the Charlotte street sidewalk. THE EXTERIOR is of the same character as the church with pointed windows, stone dressings, stone coping, an ornamental chimney turret forming the apex of the front gable, and stone bell turret over the north entrance, terminating with a spire covered with ornamental slate, having wrought iron painted and gilded vane. THE EXTREME HEIGHT of this building is 58 feet, but an ornamental chimney and finial combined extend upwards 15 feet, with a five-feet vane. Instead of a door and vestibule, as marks the front of the church, there is a triple-square topped window, capped with heavy freestone, these having square heads chamfered. This window affords light to the front of the ground floor. On each side of it is a single window, with a like style of finish. Above the large window first mentioned is a triple window with pointed heads and pointed arches of freestone. These are supported at the spring by single granite columns with freestone cap and base molded. On the north-eastern corner of the school house is THE TOWER, 75 feet high and a cast-iron finial gives it an extension of seven feet. Stone steps lead to the entrance door on Charlotte street. Directly over the entrance is a single window, with block freestone trimmings. Above is an open tower, the cornice of which is heavily molded. The tower roof is supported on each corner with a molded capped square pilaster, is plainly slated and has miniature windows. THE INTERIOR. A flight of stairs in the corridor and another flight from the porch leads to the basement, the largest room in which is 37 feet square, and the heating apparatus will be located there, in addition to the water closets. The ground floor has an entrance leading to it by a corridor from the church. It is divided into four rooms. From the porch, entrance is obtained into a 12 x 28 feet class room. The main room is for the infant class, and there are two rooms in the rear, each 18 ½ by 17 feet, which can be made into a large room by folding doors. On the top floor there is one large room, 38 x 74 feet, which will be known as the lecture room and the principal Sabbath school room. It will contain a large library. Two flight of stairs lead to this room, one from the tower, another from the porch, and the seating capacity is about 400. The school has pointed arch windows filled with stained glass, open timbered roof filled in with plastered panels, lined around the walls with narrow board sheathing. The basement is for storage of fuel and is provided with all necessary conveniences. THE BUILDING COMMITTEE were: Rev. Canon Brigstocke, chairman; Messrs. John Sears, C. W. Weldon, Simeon Jones, Wm. F. Harrison, James McNichol, Jr., James H. McAvity, S. K. Foster and John Magee. CONTRACTORS AND SUB-CONTRACTORS. Those who have been engaged in superintending or providing materials in the erection of the church are as follow: -- Architect – W. T. Thomas; Superintending architect – R. C. John Dunn; Contractors – James G. McDonald & Co.; Heating apparatus – Bowes, Campbell & Ellis; Gas chandeliers – T. McAvity & Sons; Gas fitting – Woodling & Co.; Glass – John C. Spence, Montreal; Glasier Work – Jas. H. Pullen; Excavations – John Corr; Grading – T. Cusack; Painting – W. M. Forrest; Carpets – Jas. W. Hegan & Co.; Stone cutting and exterior carving – Richard Welch; Wood work – Andrew Johnson; Sculptor – Joseph Holmes. CONSECRATION AND EVENING SERVICES. The consecration service is to take place at 11 a. m., the doors opening at 10 o’clock. After the formal consecration by the Metropolitan the usual morning prayers will be said, followed by a sermon to be preached by Bishop Binney, of Nova Scotia, after which the holy communion will be celebrated. A cold collation is to be served in the large room of the school house, at which will be present the clergy who attend the service, the wardens, vestry, congregation, and a large number of others received invitations. This is to be held at two o’clock. There is to be the usual evening prayer at 8 o’clock, to be followed by a sermon. At both services the united choirs of the city and St. Paul’s Episcopal churches will participate. A number of anthems and special pieces will be sung. TRINITY LIGHTED UP. Last night Trinity was lighted up, the 250 gas jets in the church illuminating it perfectly in every part. The members of the building committee and one or two of their friends were present to admire the beauties of the new edifice, and to listen to the practice of the united choirs which are to sing in the services on Thursday. The aspect of the church at night is even finer than by day, except that the effect of the beautiful stained glass window is lost. The members of the building committee are justly proud of the noble structure which they have erected. It was remarked, last evening, that the acoustic properties of the church are very good and experiment has shown that a person reading from the lectern can be heard perfectly by those near the door. This is very satisfactory and nothing more would seem to be wanting to make Trinity Church all that its worshippers would wish it to be.