Contenu de l'article
THE LOYALISTS. Facts Bearing on the Approaching Centennial. Letters of J. W. Lawrence, Esq. No. 3. Hon. Robert Duncan Wilmot, Lieutenant-Governor. SIR: Of the early New Brunswick school masters and school madams little is known, yet no more important personages were in the country. Of the old ministers of the Church of England, Methodist and Baptist it is otherwise; the pens of G. Herbert Lee, Rev. T. Watson Smith and Rev. Ingraham E. Bill., D. D. have preserved them in works of permanent value. The “History of Acadia,” by James Hannay, one of the vice-presidents of the New Brunswick Historical Society, has also been published. “The Early Lawyers and Old Judges of New Brunswick,” and “The Early Printers and Old Newspapers of New Brunswick and their Times” are in manuscript. Has not the time come for a work on the Old Schoolmasters, without whom there could be no printers, no ministers, no lawyers, no judges? Here is a rich virgin field waiting the pen of one of the sixteen hundred teachers of New Brunswick. A SCHOOL MASTER’S ADVERTISEMENT OF THE LAST CENTURY. William Green will open an English School for the education of youth on Monday, 20th of April, at his house Britain Street, near Captain Elme’s. There will be taught the following branches of literature, in the most approved order, from the best authors used in the principal academies of Great Britain and Ireland, viz: -- £ s.d. Reading, per quarter………………………………………………………….. 0 7 6 Reading, with English grammar and proper accent…………………………. 0 10 0 Writing………………………………………………………………………. 0 10 0 Arithmetic…………………………………………………………………… 0 12 6 Book-keeping and merchants’ accounts…………………………………….. 0 17 6 Geometry, surveying, navigation, dialling and other parts of mathematics, according to agreement; also the use and projection of maps and charts, after a natural, easy and concise method, without burden to the memory. N.B. – Those parents that will give him a preference in the tutorage of their children may depend on the strictest attention being paid to their natural genius and their moral abilities. WILLIAM GREEN. St. John, N. B., 6th April, 1787. Of the graduates of Harvard at St. John was Jeremiah Pecker, who taught school twenty-five years. Among his pupils was young Ward Chipman. The “Rudiments of the Latin tongue,” by Thomas Ruddiman, A. M., Edinburgh, from its well thumbed pages attests the diligence of his pupil. In 1801, Ward Chipman was fitted for college, and entered Harvard. In 1805 he graduated with the highest place in his class, delivering an English oration on the influence of learning – attesting to the efficiency of his old master, Jeremiah Pecker. In 1836, the second year after Ward Chipman’s appointment to the office of Chief Justice, his college conferred on him the degree of LL.D. Jeremiah Pecker died at his residence northeast corner of Prince William and Princess streets, 1809, aged 70 years. ST. JOHN GRAMMAR SCHOOL. In 1807 the Grammar School was opened, with Roger Viets, assistant minister of Trinity Church, master, who held the position to his appointment in 1814, to the Rectory of Digby, where he died, in 1839, aged 54 years. SCHOOL HOURS. “During the months of May, June, July and August the hours of attendance will be from 6 to 8, from 10 to 1, and from 3 to 5 of the clock; March, April and September 9 to 12 and 2 to 5 of the clock; and during the winter months of November, December, January and February from 9.30 to 1 and from 2 to 4 of the clock, Saturdays excepted, on which day the School will be dismissed at 12 of the clock.” In the early years of the Grammar School young ladies were admitted – three are now living. One of the teachers after Mr. Viets was James F.C. Bremner, afterwards postmaster. The post office was on the west side of Charlotte street, between Horsfield and Duke. Mr. Bremner’s clerk was the late Henry W. Baldwin, who died at Bathurst on the 2nd inst., Register of Deeds for Gloucester. Mr. Bremner died at his residence, Horsfield street, February 25th, 1825, aged 46 years. PUBLIC GRAMMAR SCHOOL. Notice is hereby given that the Public Grammar School in this city, will be re-opened on Tuesday, the first of December next, under the direction of Mr. James Patterson, Preceptor, lately engaged by the Board of Directors. It is requested that the names of all scholars to be sent on the opening of the school may be given in at the Office of His Worship the Mayor, before that day. By order of the President and Directors. WARD CHIPMAN, Town Clerk. St. John, N. B, November 23, 1818. PRIZES SEPTEMBER 3RD, 1821. For the superior class to John M. Robinson 1st class – Robert Peters. 2nd class – William Black. 3rd class – James Betts and Robert Duncan Wilmot. 4th class – John M. Wilmot and James Gale. 5th class – George P. Sancton. Dr. Patterson in 1840 had the degree of LL.D. conferred on him by a Scotch University. He continued as head master of the grammar school for over forty years. He died August 10, 1875, in his 78th year. The old scholars now found in every department of life, in church and state, one a Bishop, a second a Governor, a third a Senator, with others on the bench and at the bar, merchandize and manufactures, should honor their old preceptor with a stained glass window in the Memorial Hall. The only teacher who died in the discharge of his duties of head master was Dr. Charles Coster. His death took place at Newark, New Jersey, where he went for his health, 1879, in his 56th year. In 1799, Henry Frost opened a school at St. John and taught to his death, 1827, at the age of 52 years. Another of the old school masters was Alexander McLeod; his school house was in the First Church and Court House, Germain street, between Duke and Queen streets. Mr. McLeod retired from teaching to engage in merchandize in 1815. At his death in 1833, at the age of 60, he was County Treasurer and Coroner. Among the other old teachers were Peter Lugrin, Paul Philips, George Taylor and Bernard Kiernan. Peter Lugrin was famed as a teacher. Among his scholars were the sons of James Simonds and John Ward. He was the father of George K., the fourth King’s printer, Simeon L., a merchant of St. John and Horatio Nelson Hicks Lugrin, a member of the Bar. Also the father in law of Paul Philips, Henry Chubb and George A. Garrison. His first residence after his arrival with the Loyalists was at the Long Reach, near Oak Point, River St. John. There his children were born. Mr. Lugrin died with the harness on in June, 1814, aged 60 years. Bernard Kiernan came from Ireland in 1811, and was noted for his mathematical acquirements. The astronomical portions of the New Brunswick Almanacs were prepared by him. As a compensation he received £5. Mr. Kiernan was a city surveyor, and one of the first wardens of St. Malachi’s Chapel. In 1824, he left for South America. In 1818, Thomas Lannan and Thomas Addison opened schools in St. John. Like Bernard Kiernan, the latter was eminent as a mathematician. Five other teachers, Campbell Gibb, Hugh Allan, Thomas Carlisle, John Howe and William Ewing, many will recall to mind. The former died in 1831, in his 29th year. Of the old school madames the best known are Mrs. Fairchild, Mrs. and Miss Kollock, Mrs. Forbes, Miss Cameron and the Miss Wallaces. FRENCH LANGUAGE. The subscriber having been compelled to leave his native country, Sweden, upon the expulsion of the King from the throne, and his patrimony taken from him by the Russians upon the conquest of the country, took refuge in England, but, being unable to support himself there, emigrated to this country, where he proposed teaching the French language, should a sufficient number of subscribers offer, to afford him a subsistence. He is ready to be examined as to his knowledge in the above language, and, if encouraged, every exertion will be made to instruct the pupils entrusted to his care. Price of tuition per quarter………………………………………………£1 10 0 Entrance……………………………………………………………….. 0 10 0 Private lessons, each…………………………………………………… 0 5 0 Gentlemen desirous of subscribing will be good enough to leave their names at the Counting House of Messrs. John Black & Co. JOHN HESSE. St. John, September 12th, 1811. THE FIRST ST. JOHN SUNDAY SCHOOL. SUNDAY SCHOOL, GERMAIN STREET. The public are respectfully informed that children are admitted into the school as usual every Sabbath day at 2 o’clock. It being now nearly three years since any subscriptions have been received for its support, the Managers beg leave to solicit the assistance of all who are well wishers to such a useful and laudable institution, at the same time are informed that any aid they may be pleased to afford will be thankfully received by the Rev. Stephen Bamford or John Ferguson. Statement of Finances. Amount of subscriptions received since the commencement of the school……..£17 10 7½ Deduct disbursements for fuel, books, slates, pencils, etc., etc. ……………….. 16 16 0 __________ Balance remaining on hand………………………………………………………£ 0 14 7½ St. John, September 10th, 1812. NATIONAL SCHOOL. The first National School in New Brunswick was opened at St. John, in the “Old Drury Lane Theatre,” York Point, July 13th, 1818, by Mr. West, from Halifax. On the 24th of December, 1819, the school was removed to the brick building, north side of King Square, with George Bragg teacher. A school for girls was shortly after opened by Mrs. Bragg. At the Christmas examination, 1820, medals were presented by the Lieut. Governor, Major General Smyth, to Miss M. Price, Miss Harriet Gale, Miss Julia Merritt and Miss Isabella Stanton. Also to William Stone, John Alsten, Joseph Jenkins, John Lester, Edward Sears and Peter Drake. The Secretary Treasurer was Edward J. Jarvis, afterwards Chief Justice of Prince Edward Island. JUST PUBLISHED. A SERMON, Preached before the Governor and Trustees of the Incorporated Madras Institution of New Brunswick, in Trinity Church, St. John, By the Rev. Jerome Alley, A. B., of Trinity College, Dublin, and Rector of St. Andrews, N. B. Published at the request of the clergy in general, and the Rector and wardens of Trinity in particular. 28th August, 1821. MEDALS PROBATIONARY, 1821, to Masters Thomas L. Taylor, E. Freeman and Henry Anderson, teachers; with prizes of Bibles, Testaments, silver pen and pencil cases, penknives, etc., to Master Wm. Mercer, Thos. Keohan, R. Seely, John McAvity, T. Alsten, J. Gregor, R. Longmuir, J. Hutchinson, H. Thorne, J. Cotter, John Drost, Wm. Dibble, A. McLeod Seely, D. Stewart, Richard Calvert, and others. The teacher best known in connexion with the National School was Anthony R. Truro, a native of Cornwall, England. He succeeded Mr. Bragg in in 1821. Mr. Bragg opened a grocery store at the corner of Germain and Princess streets, long known as cheap corner. He was successful in business, and bought the historic building, at the of King and Cross streets, where General Arnold lived from 1786 to the fall of 1791, and Attorney General Bliss from the latter year to 1811. Mr. Bragg removed to Digby, and there died. Mr. Truro, having for some years retired from teaching, left, in 1841, with his wife, son and daughter, for Australia, his stepson, Siser Elliot, many years a clerk with John V. Thurgar, having settled there. Many will recall the short, well built, dark complexioned teacher of the Madras School of over half a century ago, with blue coat, brass buttons and buff vest, affable and gentlemanly. After retiring from teaching, in 1833, Mr. Truro opened a stationary store, with circulating library. On the establishment of the Weekly Chronicle, he was editor. SUSSEX VALE. Mr. and Mrs. Legett respectfully inform their friends and public in general that they have opened their Academy and Boarding School at the College in Sussex Vale, for drawing, painting on paper or silk, composition, poetry, mathematics, the English, French and Latin languages – grammatically; all kinds of plain and ornamental needlework, tambouring, embroidering with silk or gold, embroidery of flowers, figures or pictures, filage work, etc. The strictest attention will be paid to the manners and morals of the pupils. Sussex Vale, Kings County, 1st June, 1819. The old Indian College, Sussex, has a history that to the generation of the present day would read like a romance. The scholars of half a century ago will recall Dillworth’s Spelling Book, with its frontispiece of the teacher with the goose quill, the days steel pens were unknown. The penknife for the quill and the birch for the unruly were the companions of the masters and madames of olden times. In view of the many advantages teachers and scholars enjoy in the closing year of New Brunswick’s first century, will they not show their appreciation in co-operating in the erection of a Memorial Hall to the founders of New Brunswick? The sixteen hundred teachers and sixty thousand scholars are factors that can make themselves felt. In years to come, many a youth now living in remote places of the province, will find their life work in St. John. To them the Memorial Hall, with its Museum, Art Gallery, Natural History Society, and Historical Society, Free Library, Reading Room, Gymnasium, etc., will be a grand educational, social and moral centre. “With all thy getting, get understanding, for the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.” The fourth letter will be the first Law Student of New Brunswick and the Loyalists. J. W. LAWRENCE. At the last session of the Provincial Teachers’ Institute, Fredericton, it was “Resolved, That an address be delivered at the summer session, 1882, on the history and capabilities of the Province,” and also that there be an educational display at the proposed Exhibition of 1883.